Chicken with Preserved Lemons
This is my favorite Moroccan dish, and is very easy to make. The preserved lemons are so flavorful and it’s delicious with some roasted potatoes and vegetables.
1 Whole chicken
1/2 Preserved lemon (see recipe here)
1 tbsp Olive oil
1 Brown onion
2 Garlic cloves, chopped
2 1/2 cups Chicken stock
1/2 tsp Ground ginger
1.5 tsp Ground cinnamon
2 Bay leaves
3 tbsp Chopped coriander/cilantro leaves
1. Preheat oven to 180ºC/350ºF
2. Place chicken in a deep baking dish.
3. Cut preserve lemon into strips. (see how to prepare lemons)
4. Heat olive oil in a pan over medium heat.
5. Add the onion and garlic and cook for 5 minutes or until onion is soft.
6. Add the chicken stock, ginger, cinnamon, bay leaves and preserved lemon strips.
7. Stir well while simmering for a few minutes.
8. Pour sauce over chicken.
9. Bake for 1 1/2 hours, or until cooked through, adding more stock if it gets too dry and basting during cooking.
10. When cooked, remove from oven, cover with foil and allow to rest.
11. Serve chicken with the sauce and garnished with chopped coriander.